Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Invasion of the Plante of the Anti-Poets

And so we return to the subject of man's inhumanity to man or it may merely be the sheer insensitivity and selfishness that I feel is on display daily on the streets of Dublin. As usual, I blame the lat lamented Celtic Tiger for all our ills. This is simply because I felt Ireland was a nicer place before it and we were a nicer people. We have lost sight of the important things in life. I held a door open for a woman a while ago and she sort of shouldered me out of the way so I wouldn't let it slam on her boyfriend. I guess I'm an idiot to expect at least a thank you.

Priorities
Oh my goodness you're having a heart attack.
Hold on a moment my cellphone's ringing.

4 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be nice if we could rediscover ourselves in the recession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Gillian:
    I think that this is actually not too bad there. At least, in Ireland, there are still men holding doors for ladies.
    Here in Athens things are much worse.
    People seem to have totaly forgotten about good maners or respect to each other.
    Rather sad that such a thing happens in the " cradle of civilisation"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Problem is we've dropped good manners along with decent ethics; it's a cliché in Ireland to parrot that rogue bankers will go free and we'll pay for the damage they've done. We have lost a central sense of ourselves. Even in art, and in some cases particularly in art, the 'mé-fhéinism' knocks everything out of the way, the pursuit of this prize, that club, that festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your problem, Bob?
    I'm alright jack!

    ReplyDelete